THE GLITTER CHILD
Staying back in your memory
Are the movies in the dark
How you moved is all it takes
To sing a song of when I loved
The Prettiest Star

Profile
I'm just a little girl made of stardust

Exits
http://twitter.com/AziaRose
http://www.facebook.com/iamthecrazia
http://strawberrycafe.livejournal.com/

Archives
1/17/10 - 1/24/10
1/24/10 - 1/31/10
1/31/10 - 2/7/10
2/7/10 - 2/14/10
2/14/10 - 2/21/10
2/21/10 - 2/28/10
3/7/10 - 3/14/10
4/4/10 - 4/11/10

Layout ©
Designer: Infravermelho
Resources: 1 2

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Anna Karina Show



So as I sat outside Barnes & Noble (where I currently work for small change) perched on a wall with a copy of Vinyl Princess (not actually a recommended book, but I have to read it) and a coffee in hand, watching a pack of history class punks pass me and bum smokes from strangers, I began to miss the freedom of my pre-work clothing.

You know, the days before "Business Casual" took me in its grasp. You see, they have a very specific 'general' dress code at my little bookstore.
  • brown, black, or khaki slacks or trousers (no fitted pants)
  • knee-length or at least lower-third-thigh length skirt
  • nice dress
  • clean blouse that shows no cleavage
  • closed toed shoes
Notice how she's totally NOT smiling? That's not just an "I'm a model"-face. That's "I'm bored".



And it really doesn't help that when I'm at home or going out, I'm more of a...















Than a...
















However lovely Katharine Hepburn is, there is one thing she isn't---my style inspiration. So instead, I tried to turn my attention away from Glam/Punk/New Wave/Electro/Rock and to a very different inspiration...


The ever-beautiful and playfully charming Anna Karina.

Now it's very difficult to retire sequin leggings and pseudo-androgyny in favor of pencil skirts and smooth hair, but with the guide of Nouvelle Vague film star Anna, it becomes simple! The focus?

COLOR
And LOTS of it!!!
 Now, I will admit that I am constantly flouting the dress code at work, but so far I get no complaints! Instead I've gotten a lot of great compliment(even on my rather hilarious Anna glasses!)








Nearly everyone who saw them could only smile and say "Nice glasses! They make me happy"

But even if you don't work somewhere that has banned your leather pants or your ripped up Sex Pistols t-shirt, even if you just kinda feel like switching it up a bit, or if you're like me and just absolutely in love with Karina, here's some ideas for how to move your wardrobe from "The Girl in the Band" to "The Euro-Sweetie"

Let's try using the same tops that you might already have and using different bottoms/tights...

punky to pretty
Easy as pie! Just a few more pops of color and adding a skirt instantly makes it more "feminine and friendly". But everyone knows that. Hmm, something harder...


What if you actually DO own a pair of slacks or at least a pair of wide-leg trousers? How exactly do you make THOSE cute?

 

casual to menswear chic

Granted, it's a bit more Menswear Chic than Girly Gorgeous, but I still think the element of playfulness remains!



 What if you already have a rather good simple skirt but can't find a way to make it look Nouvelle Vague?

skirty wordy

While the outfits on the left are certainly not ugly in any way, they're all pretty casual, right?
The outfits on the right are just a few ideas of how to take what you already own and wear it perhaps as you never have, or at least to remember that accessories and color always add a hint of glee and fun to every outfit.




Also, hello all new readers! Thank you so much for your views and comments! I would like to reply to them all but for some reason my formatting won't let me. Either way, they're very very very much appreciated!


Also a question for everyone,

How do you manage to keep your own style at work?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous niamh said...

Uhh, in my charming royal blue polo t-shirt and navy adidas tracksuit bottoms there is no way I am able to make myself look even remotely good. Though I do wear nice trainers...
Thing is everyone in my work dresses like that ANYWAY, so they're fine. :| I wish I worked in a CLOTHES shop sooo badly! Nice ideas though, you have great style :D

January 28, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home